Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On the road again...



Hmmm Guadalajara or Tequila?

We've left Mazatlan and we're in Guadalajara now. On our way here we boon docked at an RV park in Teacapan. Boon docking is when you park right on the beach for the night. We had no power or air conditioning but we opened all the windows and it was quite comfortable. There's nothing like falling asleep to the sound of the ocean.

After visiting this 'ladies room' in Teacapan I don't think I'll ever complain about another Canadian restroom again, talk about a lack of privacy! Gotta love Senor Mustachio's commentary lol








Today we met our new Mexican friend Myrna and her adorable 2 year old son Ashton. If anyone's traveling to the Guadalajara area and needs a tour guide I can pass her information along. Myrna is a flight attendant and speaks great English.

Myrna took us on a tour of the historical area downtown (Centro Histórico) and to the Guadalajara Cathedral. The cathedral was built in the 1560's and took almost 50 years to build. The interior was gorgeous, I was in awe, it actually brought tears to my eyes. I didn't expect to be so emotional, it was just so beautiful and peaceful. The stained glass windows and murals were incredible. Everything was covered in gold, I've never seen anything like it.

A creepy part of our cathedral tour was visiting the coffins of the dead priests they have hiding in the basement. Equally as creepy was seeing the remains of a martyred little girl called Santa Inocencia (Saint Inocencia). I'm not sure why she was made a saint, Myrna tried explaining it to me but I couldn't pay attention because I was too freaked out. Her face isn't real but her hands and urn of blood are. Remind me to avoid this section next time.











Ok onto happier and less creepy things now...today we went shopping at a huge silver and gold mall downtown. Here they have high quality silver and gold, unlike the fake stuff we bought on the beach in Mazatlan. Ron bought a nice silver chain and a gold charm for his 'I Am' necklace. I bought a white gold chain and two charms, a Jewish star of David and a cross. Yes that's an odd mix, but hey so am I. :)

Adina

No comments:

Post a Comment